Like so many people, this Year I had to adapt to working from home… something I did a bit underestimate at first, thinking it would be easy to just change my dynamic overnight.
Well I think that after probably over 6 months I managed to find a reasonable balance in all this, so the process definitely took a little bit longer than an overnight switch…at least for me😅
The main problem was that first I found it to very difficult to detach my working hours from my time off and the first 2 to 3 months I was mentally stressed because of it, as I could not stop thinking about work even in my free time. Plus my work space which suddenly was my home, became completely surrounded by all sort of work stuff… like a constant reminder of problems and deadlines to solve and deal with..
Second phase was even trickier cause suddenly at home everything became a bit of a distraction, so again i really struggled to motivate my self and keep focus on getting things done.
Thankfully now I am confident to say that I found a good balance and a good routine for working from home, all by following this 5 healthy steps:
- GET OUT OF YOUR PAJAMA! Yes I know quarantine was though and wearing shoes is still a challenge after all these months in comfy flip flops… but there is nothing worse than wearing pajama for 3 days straight… Which can easily turn into a week or worst… TRUST ME Been there done that!
- WAKE UP EARLY AND TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF WITHOUT YOUR PHONE You probably heard this everywhere ….but it is so important, I cannot stress it enough! enjoying time at a low pace especially early in the morning, even if is just your coffee moment, some fresh air, doing meditation or taking the dog for a walk truly unwinds your mind and lifts your spirit for the day.
- CREATE A SEPARATE SPACE FOR YOUR WORK STUFF I know this one is tricky for so many reasons not all of us have the luxury of having a designated work space/home office….or even a separate laptop. But as much as possible do what you can to keep neat your desk and work space and remove all kinds of working stuff from your sight when you are done for the day!
- TAKE A BREAK TO ENJOY LUNCH Probably my favorite part of smart working is that I can have a proper meal for lunch, usually in the office I eat quickly some sad salad or a even sadder sandwich… while now I can enjoy a good old fashion plate of “pasta al pomodoro” freshly cooked or my fave for Fall “Pumpkin gnocchi with butter and sage”… anyway you get my point!
- PLANTS PLANTS …and why not …more PLANTS 😂 I don’t know if this is a side effect from my lockdown days but I developed an incredible love for plants and greenery in general… it just puts me in a good mood.
This year’s events have really changed everyone’s circumstances. What about you? Do you have some more tips to deal with working from home? If you do please share it in the comments, I would love to know them